Illinois consumers have plenty to complain about already, but a new list shows a new problem is cropping up.
Illinois Attorney General Lisa Madigan unveiled the top ten consumer complaints in the state
At the top of the list were complaints about consumer debt. Identity theft, construction and home improvement and used car sales also rank high.
And there’s a new entry related to education and student loan debt.
Madigan says her office received more than 1500 complaints related to education.
Here’s a look at the top categories and the number of complaints.
- Consumer Debt (mortgages, collection agencies, banks) 3,350
- Identity Theft (government document fraud, credit cards, utilities, data breaches) 2,636
- Telecommunications (telemarketing, cable and satellite TV, phone service and repairs, cell phones) 2,188
- Construction/Home Improvement (remodeling, roofs and gutters, heating and cooling, plumbing) 2,167
- Used Auto Sales/Motor Vehicles (as-is used cars, financing, warranties) 1,835
- Promotions/Schemes (phone scams, investment schemes, lottery scams, phishing) 1,813
- Education (for-profit schools, student loan debt, loan counseling) 1,523
- Internet/Mail Order Products (Internet and catalog purchases, TV and radio advertising) 1,019
- Fraud Against Business (consulting services, equipment leasing, directories and publications)726
- Motor Vehicle/Non-Warranty Repair (collision, engines, oil changes and tune-ups) 714
Source: Illinois attorney general’s office