Battle of Vincennes: Controversial basketball game finally underway

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.
Data pix.

CHICAGO-- After threatening to boycott one of the biggest games of the season, the boys basketball team at Morgan Park High School is taking on one of its fiercest rivals, Simeon, at home tonight.

It’s a game that’s about a lot more than basketball.

Pitting two long-time rivals against one another, the game was a little late getting underway.

There was a lot of police and security out there Thursday and it was a standing-room only crowd in there.

The size of the venue is one of the issues.

The boys’ locker room, if you can even call it that. Video was sent to WGN by one of the many people here who want to draw attention to deplorable conditions at this school.

The gym only has room for 270 people--far from enough.

CPS wanted to move this game to a larger venue, but parents and students protested-- saying people need to see how tough things are at Morgan Park High School.

Tiffany Burrell, Morgan Park High School parent said "The facilities that they play in by any standard are deplorable. I was shocked. I just had no idea it was that bad."

There are also some great things about this school.

For example, last year Morgan Park graduated nearly 80% of its senior class. College enrollment was around 74%.

And the basketball team saw 100% of its players go on to college.

CPS says in the past few years, it’s spent $30-million on upgrades here.

Parents are a little upset that none of it went into the athletic department.

Notice: you are using an outdated browser. Microsoft does not recommend using IE as your default browser. Some features on this website, like video and images, might not work properly. For the best experience, please upgrade your browser.