CHICAGO – A man is dead and another person is seriously injured after a fire at a house on Chicago's Far South Side.
The fire began just before 7 a.m. at 131 E. 103rd Place in the Roseland neighborhood.
Chicago Fire Media says a 63-year-old man was pronounced dead and the other victim, whose age and gender were not available, were taken a nearby hospital in serious to critical condition.
A Fire Department spokesman says the house had no gas service and an illegal electrical hook up and there were no working smoke detectors inside the home.
Fire officials also said a pile of clothing was ignited by a hot extension cord.