Carson criticizes Chicago leaders for delay releasing Laquan McDonald video

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

CHICAGO — Republican presidential candidate Ben Carson is calling a video showing a Chicago police officer fatally shooting a black teen “very disturbing.” And he says the city’s delay releasing the footage was “a failure of government.”

Carson spoke Thursday in Chicago, where video of the 2014 shooting of Laquan McDonald released last month has prompted protests and a Justice Department investigation of the police department.

Carson is the only black candidate in the 2016 presidential field. He wouldn’t say whether he believes Mayor Rahm Emanuel should resign. He says people in Chicago should decide.

Carson says police, community members and local leaders need to talk more. When that happens, he says, “a lot of times things do not blow up the same way.”

Notice: you are using an outdated browser. Microsoft does not recommend using IE as your default browser. Some features on this website, like video and images, might not work properly. For the best experience, please upgrade your browser.