Emanuel denies police video cover-up in new op-ed

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

CHICAGO – Chicago Mayor Rahm Emanuel is denying there was a cover-up in last year’s shooting of a black teenager 16 times by a white police officer.

Emanuel on Saturday released an opinion piece he wrote for the Chicago Sun-Times and Chicago Tribune. Emanuel says he strongly rejects the idea the release of squad-car video of the shooting was delayed because of his re-election campaign.

He says the city was following a longstanding practice of releasing such material only after the close of an investigation.

But he says he should have known that a delay in releasing the video would raise suspicions because of the “checkered history of misconduct” within the police department.

He calls for a “complete and total reform of the system and the culture” within the department.