Black Friday protests: 4 arrests, some stores close early

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

CHICAGO -- Chanting with a single voice and locked arms, protestors stood their ground in front of many retail stores along the Magnificent Mile. They say if Chicago is missing revenue, they'll pay attention to their calls for changes in the CPD and State's Attorney Office.

"What we are saying to Chicago is no more, stop killing us, stop killing us," said protester Maureen Simmons.

In some cases, shoppers and protestors found themselves on some common ground.

"I totally understand that they are just protesting about their rights as humans, so yeah, I totally understand that," said shopper Hyerin Park,

Inside different stores, employees watched and helped the few customers that got in before protestors showed up. Using side doors, shoppers were able to leave with merchandise and an understanding of what protestors are fighting for.

"I think its really good, I mean the city is packed trying to shop its like two sides, its the perfect audience to like make it happen. I think some people might get upset," said shopper Hidaja Trautmann.

One man trying to get into the Levi's store was upset. Protestors shoved and called him a racist when he tired unsuccessfully to get inside.

As evening approached many stores just gave up and closed for the night -- exactly what demonstrators were hoping for. Those that stayed open opened themselves up to more showdowns between demonstrators and shoppers. Four protesters were arrested.

It will likely be a while before we know just how much the protest impacted Chicago's Black Friday bottom line. It certainly shortchanged shoppers plans to shop the Mag Mile.

"I have no problem. I think its great and a good cause. Obviously the cop who shot that boy was wrong so many ways, but I think this is wrong too. You are preventing people from doing their shopping, you are threatening, but that's not right either," said shopper Mike Popoff.

WGN tried to speak to managers at several different stores, but they just said they didn't have any comment or just our crews away.

The release of a video this week showing the fatal shooting in 2014 of 17-year-old Laquan McDonald has set off days of largely peaceful protests.



Notice: you are using an outdated browser. Microsoft does not recommend using IE as your default browser. Some features on this website, like video and images, might not work properly. For the best experience, please upgrade your browser.