President Obama releases statement on video of Laquan McDonald shooting

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

CHICAGO — President Barack Obama says he is “deeply disturbed” by video footage showing a white Chicago police officer fatally shooting a black teenager.

Prosecutors have charged Officer Jason Van Dyke with first-degree murder for the death last year of 17-year-oldLaquan McDonald, who was shot 16 times.

Obama said on his Facebook page Wednesday that he is asking Americans to “keep those who’ve suffered tragic loss in our thoughts and prayers” this Thanksgiving, “and to be thankful for the overwhelming majority of men and women in uniform who protect our communities with honor.”

Obama says he is personally grateful to the people of his hometown — Chicago — for keeping protests peaceful.

Notice: you are using an outdated browser. Microsoft does not recommend using IE as your default browser. Some features on this website, like video and images, might not work properly. For the best experience, please upgrade your browser.