Dozens of elementary students taken to hospital after CO leak at school

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

CHICAGO -- Dozens elementary school students were taken to the hospital this morning after a carbon monoxide leak at their school.

Shortly before 9 a.m. paramedics responded to a call of a sick child at Prussing Elementary School in the Jefferson Park neighborhood. The children complained of feeling nauseated just feeling sick, headaches and dizzy.

Upon arrival the found toxic air and a high, elevated reading of a carbon monoxide in the school, according to the fire department.

The school was quickly evacuated and additional ambulances and hazmat crews were called.

Some students were bused to Smyser Elementary nearby while others waited in mobile homes setup behind the school. This caused confusion. Some parents weren’t sure where their kids were.

Officials say the school’s boiler was the source of the carbon monoxide fumes.

Notice: you are using an outdated browser. Microsoft does not recommend using IE as your default browser. Some features on this website, like video and images, might not work properly. For the best experience, please upgrade your browser.