Video shows Coast Guard rescuing stranded mother, baby from flooded house in SC

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

HUGER, SOUTH CAROLINA — A mother and her infant affected by historic South Carolina flooding have been rescued from their rooftop via helicopter.

The Defense Video & Imagery Distribution System provided the video, which was recorded in a severely-flooded area of Huger, S.C. on Sunday.

The U.S. Coast Guard said in a news release that a crew plucked Cristi Mueller and her 15-month-old daughter Kailynn Walts from the roof of their home in Huger in Berkeley County.

Crews got reports at around 6:20 a.m. Sunday that the family was stranded due to severe flooding in the neighborhood.

A crew aboard an MH-65 Dolphin helicopter from Coast Guard Air Station Savannah, Georgia, was launched to rescue the two. Mueller and her daughter were taken to Mt. Pleasant Regional Airport. Officials say the woman and her child were not hurt.

Thousands of South Carolina residents are waking up to homes without electricity after historic flooding throughout the state.

An online coverage map showed that power was out early Monday morning for more than 13,500 South Carolina Electric & Gas customers. Nearly 12,000 of those outages were in Richland and Lexington counties, where flood waters have been abundant in many neighborhoods and commercial areas.

Duke Energy said that about 7,800 of its customers had no electricity, primarily in the northwestern corner of South Carolina.

As of late Sunday afternoon, officials said more than 6,000 electric cooperative customers were without power, most of those also in the central and northwestern parts of the South Carolina.

Record rainfall totals have been recorded in South Carolina’s capital city as part of historic flooding that has deluged the area.

The National Weather Service says Sunday was the wettest day in the history of Columbia. The rainfall total at the Columbia Metropolitan Airport was 6.87 inches, the most rain that’s ever fallen there in one day.

Forecasters said the old record of 5.79 inches was set July 9, 1959.

The two-day rainfall total for Saturday and Sunday was 10.44 inches. That broke the old record of 7.69 inches set over August 16 and 17, 1949.

Since Friday, more than 20 inches of rain has fallen in some parts of Columbia. The Weather Service says Gills Creek, an area that has seen neighborhoods and thoroughfares under water, had recorded 20.28 inches as of early Monday morning.

Notice: you are using an outdated browser. Microsoft does not recommend using IE as your default browser. Some features on this website, like video and images, might not work properly. For the best experience, please upgrade your browser.