Cubs Game Notes For Friday vs. St. Louis
* The Cardinals and the Cubs split their six previous meetings at Wrigley Field this season. Both teams are averaging fewer than 4.0 runs per game in their head-to-head matchups at Wrigley, with both teams combining for three total home runs and three shutouts.
* After scoring six runs in the 5th inning, the Cubs won the final game of a four-game series against the Pirates yesterday afternoon, 9-6. The Cubs had not won three games in a series against the Pirates since sweeping them in Pittsburgh from September 7-9, 2012.
* The Cardinals won their fourth-straight game last night after scoring five runs in the first three innings against the Brewers. John Lackey yielded just five hits over 7.0 innings, surrendering no earned runs while striking out eight batters and walking two.
* Lance Lynn received the loss last Saturday in Cincinnati, surrendering four hits, three walks and three earned runs while striking out three batters over 6.0 innings. Lynn lost the decision but gave up just one earned run in 6.0 innings (1.50 ERA) in his only other start at Wrigley Field this season.
* Dan Haren lasted just 3.0 innings on Sunday in Philadelphia, giving up four earned runs and seven hits with four strikeouts and three walks. In nine career starts against St. Louis, Haren is 5-3 with a 3.77 ERA (25/59.2), 57 strikeouts and 15 walks.
* Tommy Pham is batting .583 (7-for-12) with three home runs, two triples, a double, eight RBI and five runs scored over his past three games. Pham’s six extra-base hits are the most by a rookie in a three-game span this season.