Two Des Plaines deaths appear to be caused by carbon monoxide poisoning

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

UNINCORPORATED DES PLAINES, Ill. -- The deaths of two people inside a home near Des Plaines appear to be caused by carbon monoxide poisoning, the Cook County Sheriff's Police Department says.

The deaths appear to be accidental.

John Tae Kim, 83, and Hong Kyqkim, 53, were found dead inside a home on the 9400 block of West Harrison Street in Maine Township, police say.

A woman was also found unresponsive in the house. She was taken to the hospital and remains in critical condition.

A relative of the victims called 911 to report three people in distress around 3:30 p.m. Thursday. When officers entered the house, they began to suffer respiratory problems. Four officers were hospitalized and released later in the day.

Authorities evacuated all residents in the townhouse complex, though most were allowed to return later in the day. Residents in three units in the same building were kept out of their homes.

Investigators in hazmat suits entered the home. Once certain contaminants were ruled out, crews were allowed back in without full protective gear.

A car was reportedly found inside a closed garage with the ignition on and dead battery.

Notice: you are using an outdated browser. Microsoft does not recommend using IE as your default browser. Some features on this website, like video and images, might not work properly. For the best experience, please upgrade your browser.