1072 N. Milwaukee Avenue
Sunday, August 23
noon - 3:00 p.m.
5th Annual Mother Shucker Oyster Shucking Contest
3:00 p.m. - 6:00 p.m.
20 oz oysters
7 oz artichokes
1 cup onions
1 cup celery
1/2 cup green bell pepper
1/4 cup garlic
1.5 qt shrimp stock
1 pt cream
1 cup parsley
salt and pepper to taste
Sauté artichokes, onions, celery and bell pepper until soft. Add garlic, stock and cream and simmer for 30 minutes. Puree mixture in a blender or using a stick blender and strain. Return to stove and add oysters, salt and pepper and parsley. Simmer for 5 minutes and serve.
How To Shuck An Oyster
1. Clean the outside of the oyster shell with a stiff brush to remove any excess dirt or mud.
2. Wrap the oyster in a towel with the hinge sticking out.
3. Insert the tip of an oyster knife near the hinge about 1/2 an inch. Make sure you use a special oyster knife instead of a regular kitchen knife for your safety.
4. Secure the oyster in the towel, slide the knife around the lip of the oyster until you reach the other side of the hinge, keeping it as level as possible. Keep the knife inserted about 1/2 an inch and the tip pointed slightly up.
5. Twist the oyster knife to detach the muscle from the top shell.
6. Then use the oyster knife to detach the bottom shell and to remove excess debris.