Midday Fix: Pet safety tips from Dr. Jami-Lyn Derse

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

Dr. Jami-Lyn Derse
Veterinary Housecall Care
www.veterinaryhousecallcare.com

Flowers:
Roses are NON-TOXIC to pets. Lilies are extremely TOXIC to cats and cause kidney failure. All components of the plant are toxic (petals, leaves, stem, pollen).
Clinical signs of lily ingestion: Vomiting, nausea, lethargy, kidney failure, death.
Treatment: Hospitalization, IV fluids, activated charcoal, anti-nausea medication, antacids, monitoring kidney values.
Prognosis: Excellent with immediate treatment. Grave without treatment.

Fruit:
Grapes and raisins are TOXIC to dogs (and even cats). They cause kidney failure similar to lilies. Some dogs appear more susceptible than others. Bananas are NON-TOXIC.
Clinical signs of grape/raisin ingestion: Vomiting, nausea, lethargy, kidney failure, death in rare cases.
Treatment: Hospitalization, IV fluids, activated charcoal, anti-nausea medication, antacids, monitoring kidney values.
Prognosis: Dose dependent. Excellent with immediate treatment. Guarded without treatment.

Pest Products:
Ant traps are USUALLY NON-TOXIC. They mostly contain inert ingredients and sometimes even peanut butter, which attracts dogs. The primary concern is ingestion of the plastic which could cause a GI obstruction.
Rat poison is highly TOXIC to dogs. The two most common active ingredients are brodifacoum and bromethalin.
Clinical signs of brodifacoum ingestion: Pale gums, lethargy, bleeding.
Clinical signs of bromethalin ingestion: Central nervous system depression, twitching, seizures.
Treatment of brodifacoum ingestion: Dose dependent. If caught early, induce vomiting, activated charcoal, possible plasma and or blood transfusion, oral Vitamin K1 for 3 weeks.
Prognosis: Dose dependent. Excellent with immediate treatment. Grave without treatment.

Chocolate:
To a degree all types of chocolate are toxic to dogs. As a general rule, the darker the chocolate, the more toxic. Chocolate contains sugar, fat, caffeine-like stimulants called methylxanthines.
Clinical signs of chocolate ingestion: Vomiting, diarrhea, panting, excitability, heart arrhythmias, seizures, death in severe cases.
Treatment: Dose dependent. Induce vomiting, activated charcoal, IVF, anti-nausea medication, antacids, medication to treat arrhythmias.
Prognosis: Overall good with treatment.

If your pet ingests something and you are not sure if it is toxic, contact your primary veterinarian, local ER or ASPCA Animal Poison Control immediately.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

w

Connecting to %s