CHICAGO -- Police are warning convenience store owners to be extra cautious after a string of armed robberies.
At least five stores have been robbed over the last five weeks in the Lincoln Park, Lakeview, Wicker Park and Avondale neighborhoods.
In each incident, police say as many as three men wearing white gloves enter the store and announce the robbery. Each time, they have been carrying handguns. The suspects are described as black males, 17 to 25 years old, 5-foot-7 to 5-foot-11 and 150 to 175 pounds.
All of the robberies have taken place between 11:30 p.m. and 5 a.m.
The exact locations of the robberies were as follows:
- June 17 at about 4:40 a.m. in the 1500 block of North Damen Avenue
- June 26 at about 4 a.m. in the 900 block of West Armitage Avenue
- June 28 at about 11:30 p.m. in the 1400 block of North Milwaukee Avenue
- July 3 at about 12:30 a.m. in the 2800 block of North Ashland Avenue
- July 19 at about 12:30 a.m. in the 3500 block of North Pulaski Road
Police are advising owners and employees to report suspicious loitering and to make sure surveillance cameras and alarm systems are working properly.