BUFFALO GROVE, Ill. -- Lightning struck a house in Buffalo Grove, shattering the front windows and buckling the garage door. It happened at noon Monday.
The electrical charge then traveled through the house's wiring, burning up the insulation inside the walls and setting multiple minor fires inside. No one was hurt.
Homeowner Scott Goldstein wasn't at home at the time, but his wife was. She was able to run out of the house and call 911.
Fire officials believe the lightning originally struck a tree outside. From there, the charge likely traveled through the roots, blew up the sidewalk and connected to the house's electrical wiring. They say the family should re-wire the entire home before using any electricity.