Cubs Game Notes For Friday vs. Pittsburgh
* The Cubs lead the season series, four games to three. In the three-game series between the clubs at Wrigley Field that was played April 27-29, all three contests were decided by at least four runs.
* The Pirates’ first batter of any inning has reached base just 81 times this season. That is tied with the Angels for last in the majors. Pittsburgh batters ranked fifth in the majors in 2014, reaching base 465 times when leading off an inning.
* With their 6-5 victory over the Mets on Thursday, the Cubs improved to 10-6 (.625) in one-run games this season. The 10 wins lead the majors
* The Cubs are 10-3 this season when Kris Bryant knocks in as least one run in a game, compared to just 4-9 when he has at least one plate appearance in a game but has no RBI. Bryant had one RBI in Thursday’s win over the Mets.
* After allowing no home runs in his four starts in April (22.2 IP), Jeff Locke has given up three long balls over his two starts (13.2 IP, 1.98 HR/9) so far this month.
* Kyle Hendricks is winless (0-1) in his six starts this season, picking up a no decision in his last outing on May 10 despite throwing 5.1 innings of shutout ball versus the Brewers. This is the fifth straight season that at least one Cubs’ pitcher has gone winless in his first 6+ starts; (2014 – Jeff Samardzija, first 10 starts; 2013 – Edwin Jackson, first 7; 2012 – Chris Volstad, first 13, Ryan Dempster, first nine & Travis Wood, first six; 2011 – Doug Davis, first six).