Our week tracking this year’s summer slowdowns continues with a look at the big Department of Transportation projects to watch out for this summer.
We’ve covered the tollway, CTA and Metra. Now it’s time to talk about the expressways and major state roads.
The big project on the Department of Transportation’s plate this summer is the Jane Byrne Interchange work. The project includes updating nine bridges in the area as well as building a new flyover ramp that will carry northbound Dan Ryan to westbound 290 traffic over the Circle. Drivers will continue to see the ramps from 55 to the northbound Ryan down to one lane until next year. The ramp from eastbound 290 to southbound Dan Ryan will go back to two lanes this fall.
After Labor Day, I-DOT is planning four big weekend closures at the Circle. The exact dates aren’t set yet but I-DOT says the first two weekends, 290 will be shut down over 90/94 with a 10 hour period where you’ll see 90/94 down to one lane each direction at the Circle.
The second two weekends, westbound 290 will be shut down at the Circle with eastbound 90/94 down to one lane for 10 hours.
Another big project starts later this month that will delay drivers will be the rebuilding of the I-55/Lakeshore Drive bridge.
Some other projects to watch out for:
- Lane reductions on 1st Ave for construction between 47th and Archer through this fall.
- Also the closure of Irving Park Rd by O’Hare airport from York to south access, which was shut down after several truckers hit the bridge during work, I-DOT hopes to have it back open before July.
- And Route 59 in Naperville, northbound traffic is down to one lane between Jefferson and North Aurora, along with new lane closures that went into place today on North Aurora Road. The closures will stay in place until the fall.
Now there are some big picture projects I-DOT is also looking into:
- It’s looking for ways to ease traffic on 290 and 55 and also plans to make a recommendation this summer on the controversial Illiana Expressway that the governor put on hold.
- IDOT Listening Tour Dates: http://www.idot.illinois.gov/about-idot/stay-connected/events/Infrastructure-Investment
- Jane Byrne Work: http://circleinterchange.org/
- Other Current Projects: http://www.idot.illinois.gov/about-idot/idot-regions/idot-region-1/index