Winter can be a depressing time in Chicago, but don’t let the chilly weather keep you from enjoying the city! Here are a few festivals happening in January to help treat the winter blues.
1) Chicago Sketch Comedy Festival (Jan. 8-18). This is the largest sketch comedy fest in the country, with hundreds of actors performing in 188 shows over 10 days. Get a one-night pass to see a few groups perform or purchase an all-festival pass.
2) Fillet of Solo (Jan. 9-25). Lifeline Theatre is teaming up with Live Bait Theater for the 19th annual storytelling festival, celebrating Chicago’s vibrant live lit scene.
3) Tomorrow Never Knows (Jan. 14-18). Schubas and Lincoln Hall host this indie music festival, known as TNK, each January. It features more than 40 acts from across the nation. You can purchase a 5-day pass or get tickets to individual shows.
4) B-fest (Jan. 23-24). This 24-hour marathon of B-movies is an annual event held at Northwestern University. Because you can’t watch “Kitten with a Whip” too many times.
5) Winter Whiskey Wine and Swine (Jan. 24). Wrigleyville’s Old Crow Smokehouse is winterizing this popular summer event, which combines a BBQ pig roast with whiskey and wine tastings. A VIP ticket includes a BBQ cooking class with executive chef Tony Scruggs.
6) Donut Fest (Jan. 25). More than a dozen Chicago restaurants are participating in the 2nd annual homage to fried dough at Chop Shop & 1st Ward in Wicker Park. And it’s for a good cause! Donut Fest will raise money for Chicago’s own Un86’d.
7) Winter Brew (Jan. 31). Combat the cold with some local beer and local food at Logan Square’s 4th annual Winter Brew festival at DANK Haus. At least 10 breweries are participating. Admission includes a beer sampling glass; food and drink tickets are extra.
8) Anime Festival (Jan. 31). This event at the University of Chicago is an all-out celebration of anime. Attendees can participate in games and costume contests, buy artwork, and listen to speakers. There’s even karaoke.
Follow @UrbanAgendaWGN on Twitter for more fun stuff going on around the city. Send us your ideas and photos – they might be featured in a future post. Now get out and enjoy Chicago!