Blackhawks Game Notes For Winter Classic @ Washington
* The Capitals have won two straight and five of their last seven games against the Blackhawks, including a 3-2 victory over them in the first matchup between the clubs this season.
* Chicago will be playing in its third outdoor game today. The Blackhawks were defeated by the Red Wings (6-4) in the January 2009 NHL Winter Classic at Wrigley Field and then defeated the Penguins (5-1) in the NHL Stadium Series at Soldier Field in March of 2014.
* The Capitals will be making their second outdoor game appearance, having participated in the January 2011 NHL Winter Classic at Heinz Field in Pittsburgh – defeating the Penguins in that contest, 3-1.
* Alex Ovechkin has scored a goal in three of his last five games after failing to light the lamp in eight of his previous nine contests. Ovechkin has nine points (6g, 3a) in nine career games against the Blackhawks, while scoring a goal in three of his last four against them.
* Jonathan Toews has at least one point in each of his six career games against Washington – totaling four goals and three assists in those contests.
* The Blackhawks own a record of 13-2-1 since November 26 – the best record in hockey in that span. Chicago has allowed the fewest power play goals in the NHL this season (10) and boasts the best penalty-kill percentage at 90.5. Washington owns the fourth best power-play percentage in in the league this season at 22.9 percent.