Focus on Family: Avoiding holiday pet disasters

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

Dr. Tony Kremer

Holiday Hazards

Keep chocolates out of reach as chocolate contains various fats, levels of caffeine and methylzathines. The darker the chocolate, the higher the risk.

Fat trimmings and bones can cause pancreatitis, choking or leave splinters in the digestive track.

Macadamia and walnuts can be toxic, cause seizures


Thin pieces of shiny metals (tinsel) dangle, reflect light and attract hungry pets looking for something to chew on. This can create a choking hazard and other digestive track problems (twists and bundles) to your pet but is not necessarily toxic.

Holiday lighting, once again, shiny, twinkling. Items that attract attention can cause harm to you and your pet.  Keep candles away from reach of pets and make sure electrical cords are secured and not frayed.

Yarn, ornaments, pine needles. Keep needles swept.

Mistletoe, holiday berries can upset a stomach with potential to cause fatal heart problems

Holly can cause vomiting, diarrhea, nausea

Poinsettias can upset the digestive track.

Ensure the Christmas tree is secure to avoid falling from wagging tails and adventurous felines.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s