A chemical spill at a Rosemont hotel sent 19 people to the hospital early Sunday morning
It happened at 1 a.m. at the O'Hare Hyatt Regency Hotel at 9300 W. Bryn Mawr Avenue.
People complained of a strong chlorine-like smell on the 8th and 9th floors of the hotel. Several hotel guests complained of nausea and dizziness.
Several fire trucks and ambulances from Rosemont and surrounding suburbs were called to the scene, as well as the Hazmat and decontamination units.
Thousands of people were evacuated from the hotel, which was packed with people attending the Midwest Fur Fest. Those attendees were sent into the streets wearing furry animal costumes.
Firefighters discovered the source of the chlorine odor, was a broken container in a stairwell on the 9th floor. Investigators say the powered chlorine was released "intentionally" and the incident is being investigated by the Rosemont Police Department.
Guests were allowed to return to the hotel after the scene was secured at about 3 a.m.
The Midwest Fur Fest is expected to continue as planned today.