After a family was forced to jump from a burning building, a lawsuit is filed against their building owners along with seeking emergency motion for protective order.
It happened November 9th, about 3 a.m. at 5731-5735 North Kimball Avenue on the city's Northwest Side.
The fire quickly engulfed the building, trapping the Kahn family in a third floor apartment.
The parents dropped two of their small children to the ground where bystanders caught them.
Their oldest son, 10-year-old Anas Khan, was trapped by the flames and died in the fire.
The parents, Maria Tahir and Tahir Khan and are still hospitalized in serious and critical condition.
The building wasn't equipped with working smoke detectors or sprinkler system in the building, which forced the family to jump.
Neither parent was able to attend the funeral of their oldest son killed in the fire.
The father still does not know his son died in the blaze.
The lawsuit alleges that the owners’ negligence in not providing working smoke detectors or a sprinkler system caused the death and injuries.