In the Kitchen at LYFE Kitchen
This celebrity chef and winner of the TV series ‘Chopped’ says he doesn’t like to use the ‘h word,’ because often the word healthy is associated with food lacking in flavor. Chef Jeremy Bringardner and LYFE Kitchen are out to end the stereotype that healthy food can’t taste good. LHC’s Jane Monzures teamed up with the chef to prepare a healthy salmon dish in this edition of Healthy Bites. See his recipe below:
SALMON WITH TOMATO & FENNEL
- 4 filets salmon, boneless, skinless (5 oz each piece)
- extra-virgin olive oil spray
- sea salt & black pepper
- 2 cups red onion, ¼” julienne sliced
- 2 cups fennel, ¼” julienne sliced
- 2 cups broccoli florets, blanched
- ¼ tsp crushed red chile flakes
- ¼ tsp oregano
- ¼ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp pepper
- 4 oz vegetable broth
- Lay the salmon pieces out in a casserole dish or on a sheet pan.
- Spray all sides of the salmon with an even layer of the spray oil.
- To taste, sprinkle sea salt and freshly ground black pepper over the salmon, flip and repeat. Be sure to season the sides as well. Set aside.
- Blanch the broccoli in boiling water for 90 seconds or until fork tender
- Remove from the heat, strain immediately, and transfer the broccoli to an ice bath to stop from overcooking, set aside.
- Once chilled, remove the broccoli from the water, drain excess water, and set aside.
- Pre-heat a grill for the fish and two medium sauté pans (or one large) for the veg.
- Cook the salmon filets on a grill until medium-rare, flipping only once.
- Meanwhile, add a splash of olive oil to the sauté pan(s) and add the red onion and fennel slices.
- Add the spices and toss, continue cooking, tossing occasionally for about 2 minutes, or until veg is fork tender.
- Add the broccoli to the pan, then pour in the veg stock. The pan should be very hot before adding the stock, so that when it hits the pan it creates a plume of steam and quickly heats the broccoli. Allow to steam, tossing, for 30 seconds to a minute or until all veg is hot and fork tender.
- ASSEMBLY; ladle the sauce in the bottom of four bowls, then pile the veg in the center and lean the cooked salmon against the pile of veg. Serve immediately and enjoy!
FRESH & ZESTY TOMATO SAUCE
- 1 ½ cup cherry tomatoes (24 oz)
- 1 ½ oz shallot, peeled, rough chopped
- 2 clove garlic
- ½ tsp sea salt
- ½ tsp black pepper
- ¼ cup good quality extra virgin olive oil
- Place all ingredients in the blender and liquefy.
- Transfer to a saucepot and bring to a simmer, continue cooking 3 minutes, cover and remove from heat.
- The sauce is finished at this point, keep it warm until ready to assemble, or cool down and refrigerate until ready to use.