Three students were rushed to Stroger Hospital this morning after a Halloween themed science experiment got out of hand at the UIC College Prep School.
Deputy Fire Commissioner Mark Nielsen tells us two students suffered minor chemical burns on their faces.
A third student experienced an irritation to her eyes.
The experiment involved two household chemicals and a pumpkin. Too much of one of the chemicals was added to the mix, creating a flash fire.
Paramedics were called to the school at Damen and Washburne, just south of Roosevelt Rd. at about 10:30 a.m.
A hazardous material situation was called at the scene.
All the students are expected to be fine.
Classes resumed at the school before noon.