The gunman responsible for the terrorist attack in Ottawa last week was “driven by ideological and political motives” and made a video of himself, police said Sunday.
Authorities have previously identified the gunman as Michael Zehaf-Bibeau. He opened fire Wednesday at Canada’s National War Memorial and Parliament Hill, killing army reservist Cpl. Nathan Cirillo.
The gunman was then shot and killed by security.
The video was recorded just prior to the attack, the Royal Canadian Mounted Police said in a statement. Authorities are conducting an analysis of that video and said they would not be releasing it at this time.
They also provided a handful of other updates on their investigation:
— Zehaf-Bibeau used a gun that was old and uncommon;
— He carried a knife, which authorities believe was retrieved from his aunt’s property;
— Zehaf-Bibeau had worked in the oil fields in Alberta and saved his money;
— Officials are looking into whether anyone else could have contributed to the attack.
Zehaf-Bibeau had ties to jihadists in Canada who shared a radical Islamist ideology, including at least one who went overseas to fight in Syria, multiple U.S. sources said last week.
He was a Canadian citizen who may have had dual Libyan-Canadian citizenship, according to RCMP Commissioner Bob Paulson. The gunman had criminal records indicating infractions related to drugs and violence.
Zehaf-Bibeau was applying for a passport — an application that was under investigation — at the time of the attack, Paulson said.
“I think the passport figured prominently in his motives,” said the police commissioner. “However, we have not come to ground completely on his motivations for this attack. But clearly, it’s linked to his radicalization. Clearly, it’s linked to his difficult circumstances.”