A neighborhood vigil was held on the far South Side mourned the loss of four children who were killed in an overnight apartment fire.
Family, friend and neighbors in the Roseland neighborhood gathered Monday night to pray and release balloons in honor of the four siblings. There were trapped and died in the bedroom of their apartment. Two were found huddled in a closet that had no door.
15-year-old Carlysia Clark was smart, third in her high school class. 13-year-old Carlvon Clark was an 8th grader who was going to go to a military high school. 12-year-old Shamarian Clark loved to dance. And 7-year-old Eriana Smith, is remembered by her uncle as a sweetheart.
Their mother, Shamaya Coleman, broke her arms and legs jumping for her life from the third floor, a decision she and her boyfriend, Nate Johnson, had just seconds to make."
Johnson has scorched lungs from breathing in superheated air as a fire that smoldered in an unoccupied unit one floor below them erupted into an inferno just after 3:30 a.m. Coleman and Johnson remain hospitalized.
Building records show the 18-unit property failed its most recent inspection on June 9. It has been cited for issues ranging from missing smoke and CO detectors, to inadequate heat. In all, 38 building code violations in the past 6 months,.
A spokesman at J&J real estate management, which runs the property, wouldn't comment on the violations but says all units had their smoke and carbon monoxide detectors updated on August 23rd.
Fire officials say there were working smoke detectors wired into the building's hallways, but none in either the apartment where the children were found or the second -floor unit where the fire started.
Fundraisers are being planned now to help the family.