Woman in critical condition after drinking tea tainted with cleaning fluid

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

A glass of sweet tea from a Utah restaurant wasn’t so sweet.

A woman, 67, is in critical condition after she ordered a sweet tea Sunday from Dickey’s Barbecue Pit in South Jordan, Utah, that was full of cleaning fluid. Her mouth and throat started to burn immediately after taking a sip of the drink.

The cleaning solution found in the tea is used to clean the fryers and contains 67 percent sodium hydroxide, a deadly chemical.

The South Jordan Police Department is investigating the case. “Is this something that was stored improperly? Was it an accident? Was it intentional? We really don’t know,” Officer Sam Winkler said.

“Our thoughts and prayers go out to our guest and her family,” franchise owner John Thomson said. “Safety is something we take very seriously when it comes to our valued guests, as well as our own team members. At this time we are fully involved in cooperating with all parties.”

Health department officials found no risk to the public after inspecting the restaurant.

Read more on this story at KSTU-TV.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s