Healthy Bites with Chef Kat Barry of Chicago Diner
Berry Blitz Cheezecake
For Berry Compote:
1 cup frozen blueberries
2 cups frozen strawberries
½ cup frozen raspberries
⅔ cup evaporated cane juice crystals
1 tablespoon lemon juice
For Cheezecake Filling:
1 ½ cups vegan cream cheese (Tofutti)
1 cup silken tofu, drained for about 30 minutes
¾ cup vegetable oil
¾ cup evaporated cane juice crystals
1 tablespoon cornstarch
1 tablespoon + 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
3-4 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
¼ – ½ teaspoon sea salt
¾ cup Berry Compote
For Granola Crust:
1 1/4 cups quick cooking oats
6 1/2 teaspoons maple syrup
1 1/2 tablespoons brown rice syrup
1/4 cup vegan butter (Earth Balance)
To make the Berry Compote:
1. Place all ingredients in a shallow sauce pan. Cook over medium low heat, stirring occasionally with a wire whisk until the berries break down and the mixture is thick enough to coat the back of a spoon, approximately 30 minutes.
2. Remove from heat and let cool completely. Set about 1 cup aside for the cheezecake topping.
To make the Granola Crust:
1. Preheat the oven to 350°F (180°C). Lightly grease a 9 × 9-inch (22.5 × 22.5-cm) baking dish and
an 8-inch springform pan with the cooking spray.
2. Make the granola by stirring together the oats, 2 teaspoons of the maple syrup, and the brown rice syrup. Transfer the mixture to the prepared baking dish.
3. Bake for 10 to 12 minutes, until golden brown. Remove from the oven and allow to cool completely.
4. In the bowl of a food processor fitted with the metal “S” blade, pulse the granola until it becomes very fine and no large chunks remain.
5. Add the melted vegan butter and remaining maple syrup to the bowl of the food processor and process until just combined.
6. Using clean hands, press the crust mixture into the prepared springform pan. Spread the crust mixture evenly and very firmly across the bottom of the pan. Set aside until the Cheezecake Filling is ready.
To make the Cheezecake Filling:
1. Place the vegan cream cheese, tofu, oil, cane juice crystals, ½ tablespoon of the corn starch, vanilla, lemon juice, and sea salt in a food processor fitted with the S blade, or a blender.
2. Blend until the mixture is smooth (check the edges to ensure oil is fully blended in), then add the Berry Compote and remaining cornstarch. Pulse until just smooth and fully combined.
2. Pour over prepared crust.
3. Bake at 300 for about an hour and 20 minutes. Turn heat up to 350 and bake an additional 5-10 minutes or until the top becomes lightly golden.
4. When cool, top with remaining compote, let set in the refrigerator overnight, slice, and serve.
Yield: 1 8-inch vegan cheesecake; 1 ½ cup Berry Compote