Ashley Pettit from Ashley Pettit Living shares some fun tips on how to serve up a delicious and healthy array of snacks!
Starter: “It is always best to have something waiting for people to start to munch on. The key is to give them healthier fat/super flavorful dips to accompany whole grain chips and veggies. Raw veggies have tons of fiber, so they will fill them up so your guests don’t overload on the rest of the food, but also give them a healthy boost.
- “Winter” Guacamole w healthier chips/tortilla chips and fresh veggies
The recipe is:
- 1 Granny Smith Apple, chopped
- 1/2 Small White Onion, diced
- 1 Jalapeño Pepper, seeds removed
- 1 Hass Avocado, peeled and diced
- 2 TB Cilantro, chopped
- 1 TB Lime Juice
- 1/2 tsp Himalayan Crystal Salt
Apps that can compile together to be a meal:
- Kesha Kabobs (with 1-2 different dipping sauces)
Your choice of lean meat and veggies on a skewers
- Pitbull Portobello Mushroom Pizzas
- 12 Portobello Mushrooms, cleaned and stems removed
- 1 tsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil, cold-pressed
- 3 Cups Spinach
- 2 Large Garlic Cloves, minced
- 1 Large Shallot, peeled and chopped
- 2 Cups Organic Tomato-Basil Marinara
- 3 tsp Red Pepper Flakes
- Optional: 4 TB Vegan Parmesan to top the pizzas
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
In a medium saucepan, heat the olive oil over medium heat for 1 minute. Add in the shallots and cook until lightly browned. Add the garlic-saute for 30 seconds. Toss in the spinach and cook until lightly wilted.
Line up the cleaned and de-stemmed Portobello mushrooms on a baking sheet and lightly spray with coconut oil cooking spray.
Mix the marinara with the red pepper flakes in a small bowl.
Fill each mushroom with ¼ cup spinach-shallot mix and 2/3 cup marinara.
Bake for 10-15 minutes or until mushrooms are tender when forked.
- Adele Apricot Chicken Wings (baked with a homemade apricot BBQ sauce)
For the Wings:
- 1 LB All-Natural, Skinless Chicken Wings
- 2 Cups Apricot BBQ Sauce (see recipe below)
For the BBQ Sauce:
- 3 Large Apricots, pitted and chopped
- 1 Yellow Onion, chopped
- ¾ Cup Organic Pineapple Juice
- ¼ Cup Brown Sugar (replace with Stevia)
- 4 Garlic Cloves, chopped
- 1 tsp Ground Cumin
- ½ tsp Chilli Powder
- ½ tsp Cinnamon
- ½ tsp Himalayan Crystal Salt
- ¼ tsp Black Pepper
Make the BBQ sauce marinade.
In a small saucepan over medium-high heat, combine all ingredients.
Bring to a simmer and stir for about 10 minutes.
Transfer to a blender or food processor and purée until smooth.
Return to the saucepan and simmer over medium heat until reduced by about a quarter.
Put the wings in a ziploc bag or glass tupperware and top with BBQ sauce- shake it and refrigerate for 1 hour minimum or overnight.
Transfer leftover sauce into a mason jar to store or use in our chicken wing recipe!
Make the wings.
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
Toss the wings with 2 Cups of the APL Apricot-Infused BBQ Sauce- toss to coat (reserve 1 cup for dipping.)
Sweet Treat: “…keep it natural, but enjoy the sweet taste and added benefit of antioxidant-rich dark chocolate and berries.”
- KIND bar snacks cut into tiny squares served alongside a Greek Yogurt dip and Green & Black’s Organic Dark Chocolate as a “fondue”
- Fresh Berries
Drink: “Skinny Girl Prosecco is the perfect low-calorie base for this tasty, colorful “adult juice.”
- Beyonce’s Berry Bubbly (prosecco with soda water & pomegranate juice)
- 1 Cup Soda Water or for fun, Lime-Flavored Sparkling Water
- 1/2 Cup Organic Pomegranate Juice, chilled
- 1, 750ml Bottle Skinny Girl Prosecco
- Fresh Pomegranate Seeds
In a pitcher, mix together the pomegranate juice and soda water.
Line up your champagne flutes and fill 1/3 of the glasses with the pomegranate mixture, then top with the Skinny Girl Prosecco.
Garnish with fresh pomegranate seeds!