12 hospitalized after Skokie carbon monoxide leak

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

A carbon monoxide leak at a Skokie apartment complex has sent dozens of people to the hospital.

The Skokie Fire Department got a call at about 3 a.m. Thursday of a sick person at an apartment building located at 8030 South Keating.

When paramedics got to the scene, they quickly realized there was a high level of carbon monoxide coming from the building and began to evacuate residents.

12 people, including children, were taken to the hospital with non-life threatening injuries.

No word yet if there were any working carbon monoxide detectors in the building.

The fire captain tells WGN it appears a faulty furnace is to blame for this leak.

Nicor gas was on the scene checking all the gas appliances in the five apartments, and they narrowed it down to one of the furnaces being the cause of the leak.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

Notice: you are using an outdated browser. Microsoft does not recommend using IE as your default browser. Some features on this website, like video and images, might not work properly. For the best experience, please upgrade your browser.