Fiancé, Partner React to 3rd Arrest in Officer’s Death

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

forwebBond was denied today for a man charged in connection with the 2011 shooting death of a Chicago Police Officer who was working a side security job.  Police believe Alexander Villa was one of 2 men who shot Clifton Lewis during a robbery in the Austin Neighborhood.

Third man charged in police officer’s death“We’re just elated and we want justice and with these guys working it, we’ll get it,” said Lewis’ fiancé Latrice Tucker.

Villa is charged with first degree murder of a police officer, aggravated battery, and armed robbery from the December 29th, 2011 incident.

Lewis was working security at a west side convenience store. Police say Villa and Tyrone Clay walked in with guns. Officer Lewis identified himself, but prosecutors outlining the case in court, today said — Villa climbed over a counter, shot the officer in the abdomen and Clay shot him three times in the back.

“It was an assassination. Officer Lewis barely had a chance to respond to the threat and two guys just opened up on him,” said Chicago Police Superintendent Garry McCarthy.

They took his gun and 700 dollars. Clay and the alleged getaway driver Edgardo Colon were charged little more than a week later. And, police say Villa was a suspect from the very beginning, but it took all this time to build the case against him. The charges came down while he was already in jail  for violating the terms of his bail for reckless homicide and marijuana possession.

“Defendant Villa has made multiple statements to other people, implicating himself in the robbery and murder,” said Assistant Cook County State’s Attorney Andy Varga.

Not true, says Villa’s mother, Lily Riviera; “He’s innocent. He didn’t do any of this. It’s all lies.”

“We’re all surprised by these charges. We were caught off guard completely,” said defense attorney Davorv Sicel.

But police say, the investigation is finished; a relief to officer Lewis’ mother who was at today’s announcement but didn’t speak, along with his fiancé and his partner of four years.

“I’ll never forget him. Some days i have good days. Some days I have bad days, but today is a good day for all of us,” said officer Calvin Jones.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s