Family found dead in home; Police suspect carbon monoxide poisoning

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

A family was found dead in the home in northwest Indiana in what police believe was an unfortunate accident.

38-year-old Kennetha Purnell her husband 41-year-old Michael Nichols and their children 13-year-old Matthew and 11-year-old Morgan were all found  dead inside their home last night.  Police believe accidental carbon monoxide poisoning is the cause.

The bodies were discovered inside the house on the 800 block of West 70th Ave in Merrillville after concerned family members called police and they conducted a wellbeing check.

Police found a gas generator in the garage. They believe that was the source of the carbon monoxide.

The family had just begun to move into the house on Friday. The power was not turned on and investigators believe the generator was used to provide electricity.

Saturday night was the first time the family spent the night here, according to Purnell’s sister.

Purnell was an assistant to a dean at Chicago State University.  CSU issued a statement sending their condolences to the family.

Police are still investigating and say the family could have been killed by the carbon monoxide as early as Saturday. They do not suspect foul play and neither does the family.

The Lake County Indiana coroner’s office is expected to conduct an autopsy to determine the exact cause of death tomorrow.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s