Community rallies around animal shelter damaged in fire

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

An animal shelter in Northwest Indiana is asking for donations of supplies, after a fire in the shelter’s laundry room.

Workers say a dryer caught fire Monday night at the Humane Society Calumet Area facility in Munster.

No animals were injured, but about 300 dogs, cats and other animals were temporarily evacuated as smoke filled the building.

The fire destroyed about 75 percent of the shelter’s linens.

The shelter is looking for 55-gallon trash bags, bleach, disinfectant wipes, liquid laundry detergent, large towels, blankets and pet beds.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

1 Comment

  • Jayne

    You need an address to send money! If you want to donate send checks to: Humane Society Calumet, 421 -45th St., Munster, IN 46321.

Notice: you are using an outdated browser. Microsoft does not recommend using IE as your default browser. Some features on this website, like video and images, might not work properly. For the best experience, please upgrade your browser.