A thermal image of what appears to be a large cat was captured by a Chicago Police Department helicopter that was flying over the forest preserve. The helicopter was being used in a missing person’s case.
When Chicago police the image of wild animal in their footage, they turned it over to Bloomingdale authorities. The Bloomingdale police have alerted Department of Natural Resources to help them investigate what the animal might be.
Meanwhile, Bloomingdale policed issued a news release with some recommendations if anyone should ever encounter a wild animal:
- Avoid walking alone at dawn or dusk
- Keep a close eye on children and family pets when walking trails in the forest preserve.
- Never approach, if you do encounter an animal, stop don’t run. Do NO appear timid or play dead.
- Maintain eye contact. Stand tall. Look bigger by opening a coat and/or raising your arms. Slowly wave your arms and speak loudly and firmly. Throw items at the animal if necessary. Give the animal room to escape and time to move away.
- In the very rare event of an attack, fight back. most people succeed in driving the animal away.