No injuries in Stone Park grocery store fire

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

No cause has been given for a fire that broke out in a grocery store in suburban Stone Park late Tuesday morning.

The fire started in the potato chip aisle of the Durango Supermercado on North Mannheim Road, and eventually broke through the roof of the second floor.

When a smoke alarm activated, manager Jose Rivera said he tried to put out the fire with an extinguisher but the fire worsened and the extinguisher ran out of its contents.

There are four apartments on the second floor of the building, and residents escaped without injury.

Everyone in the store also escaped injury as firefighters from up to 20 departments arrived and allowed what’s called a “free burn” until it was safe for them to enter the building.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s


  • Concerned Mom

    My son is a Paramedic at the scene of this fire. Pray for the safety of all the first responders and citizens involved.

  • John Doe

    The Durango gorcery store was the business that was affected. Prayers to those who were and are currently at the scene.

Notice: you are using an outdated browser. Microsoft does not recommend using IE as your default browser. Some features on this website, like video and images, might not work properly. For the best experience, please upgrade your browser.