South side nightclub shutdown for violations

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

The Chicago Fire Department shut down a south side nightclub and a rooftop party overnight after finding overcrowding, exposed wiring and other code violations.

The Fire Dept was called to the nightclub on South Michigan Ave shortly after midnight.

Inspectors found more than 140 people at the second floor club where the posted capacity was 50 people.

And fire officials say overcrowding wasn’t the only problem.

A short time later, fire officials were alerted about a rowdy crowd at a community center in the Pilsen neighborhood.

In addition to people throwing bottles and damaging cars nearby, they found exposed wiring, damaged emergency lighting, falling plaster, open candles and weak stairwells inside the building.

Both establishments were shut down for the night and citations are being issued.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s