Story Summary

Rash of violence in Chicago

Thirteen people, including a 3-year-old boy, were shot on a basketball court on CHicago’s South Side.

According to the Chicago Police the shooting happened in the 1800 block of W 51st street in the Back of the Yards neighborhood and appears to be gang related.

Four gang members were charged in the crime: Tabari Young, 22; Bryon Champ, 21; Kewane F. Gatewood, 20; and Brad Jett; 22. They have each been charged with three felony counts of attempted first-degree murder and three felony counts of aggravated battery with a firearm.

Story Timeline
Previous Next
This story has 7 updates

The Chicago Tribune is reporting that two men are now in custody in connection with last week’s mass shooting at a South Side park.

The newspaper cites a police report, but police officials are not confirming it.

Deonta’ Howard, 3,  was among 13 people wounded when gunshots were fired into a crowd watching a basketball game at Cornell Square Park, 51st and Wood.

He’s recovering after surgery, and a family spokesman says he suffered no brain damage after being shot in the head.

According to the Tribune,. the police report states the suspects were arrested Sunday night in an abandoned building in the Back of the Yards neighborhood.

Investigators have said the shooting was gang-related.

Two men are now in custody in connection with last week’s mass shooting at a South Side Park, according to the Chicago Tribune.

3-year old Deonta Howard was among 13-people wounded when gunshots were fired into a crowd watching a basketball game, in the Back of the Yards neighborhood.

He’s recovering after surgery, and a family spokesman says he suffered no brain damage.

Police say the men, both 22, were arrested Sunday night in an abandoned building in the 5200 block of South Marshfield Avenue.

No charges have been filed yet.

According to Chicago police, several people of interest are being interviewed in connection and this remains as an ongoing investigation.

Doctors say a boy who was shot in the head during the mass shooting at a Southwest Side park will need more surgery.

3-year-old Deonta Howard was among 13-people wounded when gunshots were fired into a crowd watching a basketball game last Thursday night.

The family’s pastor says Deonta came through surgery well on Friday, and there is no brain or eye damage.

He says the boy will need plastic surgery in the future.

The Sun-Times reports police arrested a man with a handgun near the park, but he has not been charged in the shootings.

Thursday was a violent night – even by Chicago standards.

Police say 23 people were shot, 13 of them during a pick-up basketball game at a South Side park.

It happened around 10:15 p.m. at Cornell Square Park at 51st and Wood St.

Witnesses say they saw two men get out of a grey sedan and start shooting at a group of people.

Three-year-old Deonta’ Howard was hit in the face and is now in critical but stable condition at Mt. Sinai Hospital.

Ten adults and two teenagers were also shot.

None of their injuries is considered life-threatening.

Police are still looking for suspects.

They said the shooting appeared to be gang-related.

Chicago Police Supt. Garry McCarthy say an “assault-style rifle” was used in a shooting on the city’s South Side that left 13 people hurt, including a 3-year-old.

Thirteen people, including a 3-year-old boy, were shot on the South Side Thursday night.

According to the Chicago Police the shooting happened in the 1800 block of W 51st street in the Back of the Yards neighborhood and appears to be gang related.

Chicago Fire officials called an Emergency Medical Services Plan II, sending at least 10 ambulances to the scene and transported 10 people and the child to area hospitals.

One man drove himself to Little Company of Mary Hospital and was treated and released police said.

Police later said a total of 13 people were shot, the boy, two teens, and 10 adults, with the 3-year-old boy the most seriously wounded in critical condition.

The boy suffered a gunshot wound to the head and is at Mount Sinai Hospital.

Family members tell the Chicago Tribune the boy’s name is Deonta’ Howard.

Deonta’–pronounced Deontay–nicknamed Tay Man, has a dislike for haircuts, one cousin said.

“He didn’t like haircuts because he has a big head,” said Porsche Chester, a cousin of the boy’s. “But he is extremely smart. He didn’t have that (head) for nothing.”

Chicago Police continue to investigate and nobody is in custody for the shooting.

Check back for updates.

  • The 3-year-old boy, shot in the ear, in critical condition at Mount Sinai;
  • A 17-year-old girl, shot in the foot, condition stabilized at Holy Cross Hospital;
  • A 15-year-old boy shot in the arm, stabilized at Holy Cross;
  • A man, 27, shot in the leg and wrist, serious condition at Mount Sinai;
  • A man, 24, shot twice in the stomach, serious condition at Mount Sinia;
  • A man, 21, shot in the leg, serious condition at Mount Sinai;
  • A man, 41, shot in the buttocks, serious condition at John H. Stroger Jr. Hospital;
  • A woman, 33, shot in the shoulder, condition stabilized at Northwestern Memorial Hospital;
  • A man, 31, shot in the buttocks, condition stabilized at Northwestern;
  • A woman, 23, shot in the foot, condition stabilized at St. Anthony Hospital;
  • A man, 37, shot in the leg, in good condition at Stroger;
  • A man, 25, shot in the knee, in good condition at Northwestern;
  • And a man, 33, who drove himself to Little Company of Mary Hospital in Evergreen Park with a gunshot wound to the leg and who was treated and released.

Mayor Rahm Emanuel issued this statement on the shootings:

“Senseless and brazen acts of violence have no place in Chicago and betray all that we stand for. The perpetrators of this crime will be brought to justice and prosecuted to the full extent of the law. I encourage everyone in the community to step forward with any information and everyone in Chicago to continue their individual efforts to build stronger communities where violence has no place.”

Following a mass shooting in Chicago, Illinois Sen. Dick Durbin chastised Congress for not passing “sensible” gun control legislation.

Advertisement