Story Summary

Rash of violence in Chicago

Thirteen people, including a 3-year-old boy, were shot on a basketball court on CHicago’s South Side.

According to the Chicago Police the shooting happened in the 1800 block of W 51st street in the Back of the Yards neighborhood and appears to be gang related.

Four gang members were charged in the crime: Tabari Young, 22; Bryon Champ, 21; Kewane F. Gatewood, 20; and Brad Jett; 22. They have each been charged with three felony counts of attempted first-degree murder and three felony counts of aggravated battery with a firearm.

Story Timeline
Previous Next
This story has 10 updates

Another person was arrested in the mass shooting at a South Side park in September.
Quinton Humphries is charged today with six felonies including attempted first degree murder.
More than a dozen people were shot and injured at Cornell Square Park, one of them a three-year-old boy.
Humphries is now the seventh person arrested in connection with the shooting.

A sixth man was charged in connection to last month’s mass shooting at a Back of the Yards neighborhood park.

28-year-old Darren Curtis is being held without bail as prosecutors charged him with three counts of first degree attempted murder and three felony counts of aggravated battery with a firearm.

They say Curtis was involved in the attack in Cornell Square Park that wounded 13 people.

Gunmen fired into a crowd gathered for a basketball game with an assault rifle and a handgun.

Investigators say the assault was retaliation for a shooting that happened earlier in the day.

A fifth suspect charged in connection with a mass shooting in a Back of the Yards park is being held without bail.

David Logan appeared in court Saturday, and was charged with unlawful use of a weapon and obstruction of justice.

Prosecutors said he and four other men were behind a gang-related shooting in Cornell Square Park earlier this month.

Thirteen people were hurt when someone fired into the crowd gathered for a basketball game. One of the wounded was a three-year-old boy, who was released from the hospital earlier this week.

Logan will be back in court on Tuesday.

The youngest victim of last week’s mass shooting in a Back of the Yards park is now out of the hospital.

3-year-old Deonta Howard was released Wednesday night.

Pastor Corey Brooks sent out a message saying the boy and his mother were taken to a safe place.

13 people were injured in that Thursday night shooting.

Howard was the most seriously wounded, taking a bullet to the head.

Four people are charged in the crime.

3-year-old Deonte Howard continues to recovery at Mt. Sinai Hospital where a team of doctors is trying to make him whole again, inside and out.

His mother, Shamarah Leggett, spoke to the media Tuesday night and said her son is doing well.

“I’m really happy, I’ve been praying for this. I want to go see them face to face and talk to these people,” she said. “They shouldn’t even be able to get a bond. I think it’s crazy. Man, they just need to stop the violence. It’s beyond out of control,” she said

Deonte was the most seriously injured last week when four gang members shot 13 people allegedly out of revenge.

22-year-old Byron Champ is the one who allegedly fired a military style rifle into the crowd of people on a basketball court in the Back of the Yards neighborhood.

Prosecutors say Champ got the gun from fellow Blackstone gang member Kewane Gatewood.  Detectives believe 22-year-old Tabari Young was recruited and brought a hand gun along.  Brad Jett was the alleged lookout.

Champ was grazed by a bullet earlier in the day by a rival gangster disciple.

4 charged in South Side shooting that injured 13Champ had been in trouble before.  In July of 2012, he was convicted for unlawful use of a weapon by a felon.  He was only sentenced to boot camp.

Police Supt. Garry  McCarthy says had the laws been tougher, Champ might still be in jail and Deonte Hunter would be home with his mother.

Four people have been charged with last week’s mass shooting at a park in Chicago’s Back of Yards neighborhood.

At a news conference Tuesday, Chicago Police Supt. Garry McCarthy identified the suspects as Tabari Young, 22; Bryon Champ, 21; Kewane F. Gatewood, 20; and Brad Jett; 22. They have each been charged with three felony counts of attempted first-degree murder and three felony counts of aggravated battery with a firearm. Additional charges are forthcoming, he said.

McCarthy identified Young as the offender who fired the military-grade weapon, wounding 3-year-old Deonta Howard and 12 other victims. Young’s record includes more than a dozen arrests. Champ also fired a gun during the incident, McCarthy said.

McCarthy said Gatewood provided the military-grade weapon used in the shooting, while Jett, a convicted felon, served as a lookout at the shooting.

“Not only do we believe a military-grade weapon was used in this shooting, but one of the offenders charged last night was convicted of Aggravated Unlawful Use of a Weapon/Possession of a firearm by a Felon a little more than a year ago,” McCarthy said of Bryon Champ, who is a convicted felon and documented gang member. “He received boot camp for that gun crime and was back out on the streets to be a part of this senseless shooting. That is unacceptable. To truly address violence for the long-term we need state and federal laws that keep illegal guns out of our communities and provide real punishment for the criminals who use them.”

Gatewood and Champ are scheduled to appear in court later Tuesday.

Young and Jett are scheduled to appear in court Wednesday.

This is a developing story – check back for details.

The Chicago Tribune is reporting that two more suspects have been charged with last week’s mass shooting at a park in the Back of Yards neighborhood.

Tabari Young and Brad Jett, both 22-years-old, are charged with attempted murder and aggravated battery with a firearm.

Young is identified as the person who shot 3-year-old Deonta Howard and 12 other victims.

Jett was identified as one of the individuals who also participated in the shooting.

Both were arrested in an abandoned building three blocks from the shooting on Sunday night.

On Monday, Bryon Champ and Kewane Gatewood were also charged with attempted murder and aggravated battery with a firearm.

This is a developing story – more details as they become available.

 

Police have charged two suspects in a South Side shooting that injured a 3-year-old boy and 12 other people.

deontahowardrecovery

In this photograph taken by his mother Shamarah Leggett, gunshot victim Deonta Howard, 3, recuperates from his injuries at Mt. Sinai Hospital. (Handout)

Bryon Champ, 21, and Kewane Gatewood, 20, were charged Monday with attempted murder and aggravated battery.

Both are believed to have provided a weapon used in the shootings, but neither is believed to be the shooter.

The two men will face bond court today.

Thursday’s shooting happened in Cornell Square Park, in the Back of the Yards neighborhood.

It’s believed to be in retaliation for a minor shooting injury sustained by a gang member in an earlier confrontation.

Thursday’s youngest victim, Deonta Howard, is recovering at the hospital, after being admitted in critical condition.

He’s now walking and talking, and looking forward to going home.

Deonta’s mother, Shamarah Leggett, says her son will later need reconstructive plastic surgery.

Two men have been charged in last week’s mass shooting at a South Side park.

20-year-old Kewane Gatewood and 21-year-old Byron Champ are both accused of attempted murder.

Officials saying while the men played a role in the shooting neither is believed to be a shooter and the investigation continues.

13 people, including a 3-year-old boy, were shot in Chicago’s Back of the Yard’s neighborhood last Thursday.

An assault-style rifle with a high-capacity magazine was used in the shooting, which appears to be gang-related, Chicago Police Superintendent Garry McCarthy said Friday.

Three people are being held in connection with the shooting in the Back of the Yards neighborhood that wounded 13 last week, according to relatives of one of the people arrested.

That relative also says those being held in connection with Thursday’s mass shooting are being held at a Chicago Police station at Homan Ave and Fillmore St on the city’s west side.

WGN is not naming that person.  He has not been charged with a crime, and he is a juvenile. His mother tells WGN that he and two other young men, ages 21 and 22, were arrested around 8 p.m. Sunday in connection with the shooting at Cornell Square Park.

His mother says she watched as Chicago Police handcuffed them and brought them out of an abandoned house in the 5200 block of S Marshfield. She has been unable to speak with her son since.

Her godson, she says, is being questioned also.

13 people, including a 3-year-old boy, were injured in the shooting.

Advertisement