Story Summary

Blackhawks Championship Parade & Rally: Stanley Cup comes back to Chicago

The Chicago Blackhawks won the 2013 Stanley Cup in Game 6, with a score of 3-2 over the Boston Bruins.

To celebrate the team’s win, the city of Chicago hosted a victory parade through downtown and a rally in Grant Park.

Story Timeline
Previous Next
This story has 10 updates

The Chicago Blackhawks’ days with the Stanley Cup are numbered.

So a long line of Blackhawks fans got an up-close look at it, one more time, during an appearance at Millennium Park Wednesday morning.

The Cup was displayed at the Pritzker Pavilion stage from 9:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m.

A line of people started forming 90 minutes before the event started.

“I passed up the opportunity the first time the Cup came to town (in 2010), and so I couldn’t let that happen again,” said James Henderson, who was first in line.

Anyone who wants a picture needs to bring their own camera.

The Cup is a few weeks away from going back to the Hockey Hall of Fame in Toronto.

The Hawks’ regular season home opener is October 1 against the Washington Capitals.

As the NHL preseason gets underway this week the Stanley Cup is making its final round of public appearances in Chicago.

Fans stood in line Monday at Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Illinois to have their pictures taken with the Cup.

Food donations were collected to benefit The Greater Chicago Food Depository.

If you still want a picture with the Cup it will be in Millennium Park on Wednesday.

The Stanley Cup will be on the Pritzker Pavilion Stage from 9:30 a.m. until 12:30 p.m.

Lines will begin forming at 8 a.m. on the east side of the Jay Pritzker Pavilion.

Visitors are welcome to take a photo with the Cup, but bring your own camera, a photographer will not be working the event.

To ensure a spot in line, organizers strongly encourage visitors to arrive by 8 a.m.

New urban stencil art is hitting Chicago overpasses.
Someone has been spray-painting images of a triumphant Blackhawks player hoisting the Stanley Cup over his head across the city.
The art has been spotted on the Western Avenue bridge and also at Lincoln Ave and Montrose Ave.
The Dept of Streets and Sanitation says no matter how artsy the work, it has to be removed.
No one appears to have claimed responsibility for the artwork.

The Stanley Cup continues its whirlwind tour of Chicago and today it included a stop to visit some special patients.

Lord Stanley made an appearance at North Shore University HealthSystem Evanston Hospital this afternoon and spent time with patients and staff on the pediatric wing.

Bryan Bickell talks Stanley Cup victory, his new contract and what his plans are for his day with Lord Stanley.

IMG_3849 (2)

The heat was a little too much for some Blackhawks fans at today’s rally, but the Chicago Fire Department was well prepared with dozens of ambulances and first responders ready to go. The fire department also passed out water throughout the day, hoping to keep fans as hydrated as possible as the sun beat down over the parade.

Despite the precautions, some fans had to be carted off in the middle of the rally. Others were treated on the spot, but decided not to go to the hospital.

As for security, fans we spoke with today say Chicago police did a good job managing the massive crowd.

Said Alex Yonk, “There was a lot of police. We were trying to get to the other side but they blocked it off; I thought they did a good job.”

Very few incidents were reported. There were several arrests, as a couple bad apples tried to start fights here and there, but overall it was a smooth day for Chicago police.

Said fan Cameron Goleman, “I think the Chicago authorities knew what they were doing. I felt very safe and at ease.”

Thousands of families congregated at the beginning of the parade route in the city’s West Loop.  Leery of venturing into the crowded Hutchinson Field, Moms and Dads from across the region camped out near Des Plaines and Washington, which is close to Metra train stations and the Kennedy Expressway. So when the Stanley Cup champs passed by at about 10:30 Friday morning, families were able to exit the Loop quickly before the bulk of the crowd left.

Christy Nein of Northbrook brought her 12-year-old son, Brennan, to witness history.  “We’ll remember this for the rest of our lives,” Christy Nein says.  “We’ve had hockey in my family going back many years. Brennan is the youngest of four sons and plays for the Northbrook Bluehawks.”

Brennan says he’s glad his mom brought him to the parade. “To be here right now with my family and friends is great,” said Brennan. “When I get older I’ll tell my kids and my grandkids the story of how I went to the parade of the 2013 Blackhawks.”

Gov. Pat Quinn was booed at today’s Blackhawks’ rally.

Chicago Tribune social media and SEO manager takes a trip to Bertha’s in Tribune Tower to get her hair done to look like the Stanley Cup.