Story Summary

2 women brutally beaten in Bucktown bat attack

Two women were walking in Chicago’s Bucktown neighborhood when they were brutally attacked.

Marcy Cruz, 28, pleaded guilty to attempted murder and agreed to testify against Heriberto Viramontes, 33.

Viramontes was found guilty of a beating Natasha McShane and her friend unconscious with a bat.

McShane can no longer speak or walk. She now lives in Northern Ireland. Her friend, Stacy Jurich, has recovered.

Cruz was sentenced to 22 years in prison. Viramontes has yet to be sentenced.
Story Timeline
Previous Next
This story has 10 updates

A woman is sentenced to 22 years in prison Thursday for her role in a vicious bat-beating in Bucktown.

Marcy Cruz was with Heriberto Viramontes when he attacked and robbed Natasha McShane and Stacy Jurich in 2010.

She was a key witness at Viramontes’ trial. Cruz testified she smoked marijuana and listened to music in her minivan while he beat the women.

She pleaded guilty to two counts of attempted murder in July.

Viramontes was found guilty of attempted first-degree murder and aggravated battery. He faces up to 120 years in prison.

Guilty on all counts was the verdict against Heriberto Verimontes in the Bucktown bat attack trial.

It took barely three hours for jurors to convict Verimontes of attempted murder, aggravated battery and armed robbery, in the brutal assault on Stacy Jurich and Natasha McShane.

The victims and their families say they are relieved.

Natasha’s McShane’s aunt was by her side in Ireland as the verdict was returned.

She said, “We’re just glad it’s over, and Natasha can start building her life again. He deserves whatever sentence he gets.”

Natasha still can’t talk, or read, or walk unattended.

Verimontes could face up to 120 years in prison.

The man charged with beating two women with a baseball bat 3 years ago was found guilty Thursday.

There was a mountain of damning evidence against Heriberto Verimontes–jailhouse admissions, surveillance video linking him to the crime and witness testimony that may have sealed his fate.

Stacy Jurich, one of the two women beaten spoke to the media after the verdict was read.  She says is ready to start her new life again.

“(It’s) reliving what happened,” she said.  “To know this person can never walk again with me on the street again … is extremely comforting.”

34-year-old Verimontes was convicted of beating Jurich and her good friend Natasha McShane with a baseball bat three years ago.

The verdict came down in just three and a half hours.

Jurich and the McShane family clutched hands inside the courtroom as the verdict was being read.

“While there is a sense of justice for the McShane family, their pain continues because natasha has been changed forever,” Cook County State’s Attorney Anita Alvarez said.

Natasha, now 27, lives in Northern Ireland and is  unable to speak, read or walk alone.  Family said she stayed up with relatives well after midnight until the verdict came in.

Her aunt, Caroline McShane was by her side tonight and said, “We’re just glad it’s over and Natasha can start building her life again.  He deserves whatever sentence he gets.”

The defendant  is upset, his lawyers claim, that Viramontes was found guilty on all counts. He was alone in the courtroom when the verdict was read aloud. The judge did not wait for his family to return to the building.

His family is outraged, but maintain Viramontes is an innocent man.

Viramontes is set to be sentenced on Nov 20.

Emotional statment from beating victim: ‘The last 3 years have been the hardest’

McShane family ‘please and relieved:’ Anita Alvarez reads statement

A jury has reached a verdict in the trial of a Chicago man accused of beating two women with a baseball bat.

Earlier, during closing arguments, Assistant State’s Attorney John Maher paced the courtroom with a wooden bat and stared at the defendant and said, “Behold, Heriberto Viramontes.  Every parent’s nightmare.”

With Stacy Jurich, one of the beating victims  listening in the gallery of the courtroom and the family of the other victim surrounding her, the defendant, Virmontes, was portrayed as a monster, a heartless human being who back in April of 2010 is accused of seeking out white women in Bucktown to rob. Today prosecutors say he tried to kill and maim two of them with a wooden baseball bat.

Stacy Jurich and her friend Natasha McShane, an exchange student from Northern Ireland, were walking home in the early morning hours of April 23, 2010.

Prosecutors told the jury  Viramontes “took Natasha McShane’s future. He burdened them (the McShane family) with the life task of caring for their daughter. He took serenity and sleep from Stacy Jurich along with her peripheral vision and part of her scalp.”

The case centered largely on the testimony of one witness, Marcy Cruz  She is cooperating with prosecutors and says she was the driver of Verimontes’ getaway car the night of the beating. Lawyers played jailhouse phone calls from the defendant where he told a caller “I probably hit her once.” They presented the jury with credit cards receipts days following the crime.  They even showed surveillance video appearing to implicate the defendant.

But testimony from Stacy Jurich, one of the victims,  is what defense attorneys are holding onto. They claim she had her attacker’s race and clothing description all wrong from the start. Even the kind of bat used to take her down.

“We don’t know who did this. But we know it was not Mr. Viramontes,” the defense said.

The jury has been deliberating since around 2 p.m. today.

Closing arguments begin Thursday in the notorious, Bucktown bat beating trial.

Heriberto Viramontes is charged with viciously beating two women in Bucktown in 2010. One of the victims, Irish exchange student Natasha McShane, is severely disabled from the beating. Her friend, Stacy Jurich, was also beaten.

Today’s hearing started one hour late because Viramontes arrived late.

Prosecutors showed the bat used in the alleged attack, and will replay jailhouse phone calls where Viramontes apparently admits to the attack.

The defense insists their client was misidentified.

Cook County State’s Attorney Anita Alvarez is on-hand for the closing arguments.

Jurors could begin deliberations today in a high-profile baseball bat beating trial; closing arguments start this morning.

Heriberto Viramontes didn’t testify in his own defense; he’s accused of beating and robbing Stacy Jurich and Natasha McShane three years ago.

The defense had five police officers testify that Jurich initially told them her attacker may have been black; McShane is still unable to talk because of her injuries.

Viramontes reportedly told interrogators, he attacked the women to get money for drugs.

Both the defense and the prosecution rested their cases this afternoon in the trial of two women beaten with a baseball bat in Bucktown in 2010.  Closing arguments will begin tomorrow.

Heriberto Viramontes is charged with attempted murder and armed robbery.

He’s accused of hitting Natasha McShane and Stacy Jurich with a bat, and stealing their purses in 2010.

Both victims were severely injured, but only Jurich was able to tesify.

McShane is home in Northern Ireland and cannot talk or walk without assistance.

On Tuesday, prosecutors played recordings of Viramontes talking on the phone from the Cook County Jail.

“My intentions was not to kill them, my intention was to get money to get high,” Viramontes said.  “I was high.. I probably hit her once and (robbed her.)”

A key witness painted a heartless picture of the man accused of beating two women with a baseball bat.

Convicted get-away driver Marcy Cruz testified today against alleged attacker Heriberto Viramontes.

Viramontes  is charged in the 2010 beating of Stacy Jurich and Natasha McShane in Bucktown.

Cruz says she smoked pot in a van while he went to rob them.

She says he was gone long enough for one song to play on the radio then came back with two purses.

Cruz’s father says she’s truly sorry.