Recent Articles
  • Specially bred and trained, K9s ready to sniff out trouble at crowded events

    The fight against terrorism is enlisting new recruits. What isn’t new is the use of K9s. But what is new is how they are bred and trained to sniff out bombs at big events. The president of the company VWK9 is training dogs to sniff out moving targets, specifically: body worn explosives. They focus on the heat of your own body to help these dogs do their job and to stop a deadly attack from happening in busiest of places. […]

  • Parents’ six year mission of ‘spreading joy’ after unimaginable loss

    We often share with you families’ tears, sadness and anger in the hours and days after the murder of a loved one.  What you don’t often see is what can happen in the months and years that follow that loss. “You can’t bring Kelli back so what we’re trying to do is keep her memory alive,” said John O’Laughlin. John’s daughter Kelli was murdered in 2011 in Indian Head Park when she came home from school and interrupted a burglary. […]

  • After licensing delay, suburban VFW draws winner in $1M raffle

    MORRIS, Ill. — More than one month after a suburban raffle drawing was abruptly suspended, the lucky winner was chosen Monday night. The VFW in Morris  drew the winning ticket for its Queen of Hearts raffle.  Kevin Repsel  of La Salle was the winner.  He will take home 70 percent of the nearly 1.6 million dollar pot. The remaining 30 percent will go to the VFW. Kevin says he is “very shocked and excited.” The drawing was originally set for […]

  • Officers flagged down and help revive unresponsive infant

    CHICAGO — A police officer’s day can change in an instant.  Late last week, some of Chicago’s finest learned it first hand when they came to the aid of a father and baby. Panicked dad waved down a passing CPD squad car at 29th and South Union last Thurday. Officer Sean McDermott and his discovered the man was holding an infant. “The infant was blue and unresponsive,” McDemott said. “Officer Wisnewski and I began compressions while Officer Keegan assumes traffic control […]

  • Stranger steps up to help young cancer patient replace stolen bike

    ORLAND PARK, Ill. — A heart-breaking story has found a heart-warming ending. The WGN Evening News reported the story of Domink Falica, a 10-year-old cancer patient who had has bike stolen from his front yard. “It’s just fun to have the wind rushing through your face,” he says. “It just feels like you’re finally alive.” It makes him feel alive as he fights a life-threatening form of cancer. Dominic had surgery and is now going through chemo. He’s about halfway […]

  • Unprecedented late season heat wave nearing an end

      Don’t put the record books away just yet.  A 7th  record may lie ahead on Tuesday.  The late season heat wave has fostered a range of new late season temp benchmarks! For instance, never have six consecutive 92-deg or higher temps occurred so late in the season. Monday’s  92 degree high is Chicago’s 6th consecutive day of record-breaking late season heat–the most on record so late in a warm season since records began in 1871.  And it’s produced a swarm […]

  • Former Lyft driver arrested in Indiana after allegedly raping passenger

    INDIANAPOLIS, Ind.– A former Lyft driver accused of raping an Indiana woman was arrested Friday in Indianapolis, according to the Lebanon Reporter. Nour Baber Mahmoud Albadri, 22, has been charged with rape, criminal confinement and two counts of sexual battery. The incident occurred early in the morning on Sept. 16. Court documents obtained by the Reporter say Albadri was transporting a 23-year-old woman when he pulled his vehicle over just outside of Zionsville and allegedly raped her. The victim was able […]

  • Von Miller did not lose endorsement deal with car dealership after anthem protest

    COLORADO SPRINGS, Colo. — Broncos linebacker Von Miller did not lose an endorsement deal with Phil Long Dealerships after Sunday’s national anthem protest. KOAA-TV in Colorado Springs reported Monday morning that Miller was “fired from his endorsement deal and will no longer represent the company” after KOAA and other stations in Colorado, including KDVR and KWGN, were asked to remove the ads featuring Miller. In a statement, the company said the two sides are in the middle of contract renewal, which is […]

  • More seasonable weather on the way

    Updates at Chicago Weather Center

  • 2 men found fatally shot, woman wounded in suburban home

    GLENDALE HEIGHTS, Ill. – Suburban police are investigating after two men were found shot and killed in a home over the weekend.  A woman was also wounded and taken to the hospital. Police say they arrived to the home in the 1400 block of Glenview Dr in Glendale Heights around 8:30 p.m. Saturday. They found Johnathan Frandson and Matthew Rose with multiple gun shot wounds.  Police say Rose’s were self inflicted.  Both men were pronounced dead at the scene. A […]