Marisol, at the MCA
205 E. Pearson St. Chicago, IL
In celebration of the James Beard Awards, Eats Week is a special promotion presented by Choose Chicago and the Illinois Restaurant Association.
Chefs citywide feature special dishes and menus in honor of the iconic James Beard, often referred to as the “dean of American cookery”.
130+ restaurants participating -- taking place April 27-May 7, 2018.
For a full list of participants: www.choosechicago.com/jbf
Half Roasted Chicken With New Potatoes, Green Garlic, and Spinach
Chicken Preparation Directions -
- You can either buy a whole chicken or simply buy breasts and thighs separately.
- Here we break down the whole chicken leaving the breast and thigh intact. Salt the chicken liberally 1 hour before cooking.
- Heat a large cast iron pan with a small amount of oil in it. Lay the chicken skin side down and keep on the stove top as it starts to brown. Then without flipping it, transfer the pan into the oven, and roast until done. (165 degrees F)
- Flip the chicken out of the pan and let rest.
- Once rested and right before serving, brush it with the chamomile honey. Then slice it to serve.
Chamomile Honey Glaze
1 cup honey
1 tablespoon chamomile
1 slice of lemon
Heat the honey, chamomile, and lemon in a small pot and reduce by half. Then strain the honey and let cool.
Green Garlic Soffrito
2 pieces of green garlic
¼ lb butter
Separate the green garlic bulb from the stalk. Reserve the stalk for the broth. Peel and slice the bulb. Heat the butter, and cook the garlic gently until tender then season it with the lemon.
¼ lb baby potatoes
1 quart chicken stock
Heat the chicken stock in a pot on the stove top. Add the potatoes. Let them simmer until tender. Then strain the potatoes. Keep the broth in the pot and add the following:
The reserved green garlic tops
1 slice of lemon
1 table spoon of chamomile
1 cup white wine
Let this simmer and reduce by ¾
Finish it with:
1 tablespoon of butter
1 teaspoon of slices chives
Return the potatoes to this broth and add the green garlic soffrito.
- Plate the potato/ broth mixture in a shallow bowl.
- Top it with pieces of raw spinach
- Then lay the sliced chicken on top
- Glaze with the chamomile glaze