Cubs Game Notes For Tuesday @ Cleveland
* Both teams followed up their 2016 World Series appearances with 2017 division titles. They have the two best records in the majors since the start of the 2016 campaign – Cubs .599 win % is 2nd in MLB, Indians .601 is 1st. Cubs +403 run differential is 1st in MLB, Indians +370 is 2nd. Over the same span, the Cubs’ 27-13 (.675) record in regular season interleague games is tied for second best in MLB, while Cleveland is just 19-21 (.475), tied for 17th best.
*Yesterday’s 2-1 win in Baltimore was the Indians’ ninth one-run game of the young season (4-5). The Cubs have played just three one-run contests, losing all three.
* The Cubs are the only MLB team without either a three-game win streak or three-game losing streak in 2018, and they’ve stayed within a game of .500 (plus or minus) all year.
* Tyler Chatwood is striking out more than a batter per inning (10.3 per nine) this year, but has issued nearly as many walks (8.0 per nine). Combined, over 40 percent of the batters he’s faced have struck out or walked.
* Javier Baez leads the National League with 23 RBI.
* Josh Tomlin has a historically low walk rate for his career. Tomlin has walked just 1.06 batters per nine innings since the start of 2016, the lowest rate of any pitcher with at least 100 innings pitched.