Sears is closing another 43 struggling stores.
Sears Holdings — the parent company of Sears and Kmart — announced on Friday that it will shutter eight of its namesake Sears department stores and 35 Kmart locations, adding to the list of 236 stores Sears has announced plans to shut down in 2017.
With the newest round of closings, Sears Holdings is poised to close down about 20% of its locations.
The company said in a blog post that the store closures are part of an ongoing effort to “focus on our best stores and return to profitability.”
“This is part of a strategy both to address losses from unprofitable stores and to reduce the square footage of other stores because many of them are simply too big for our current needs,” Chief Executive Officer Eddie Lampert said in the post.
Sears said it is focusing on bolstering digital sales and is also testing out small, specialized “concept stores” that offer Sear’s best-selling items.
Streamlining its retail footprint is part of an effort to restore vendors’ confidence in Sears, the company said. Some vendors have “reduced” their support for the company over the past year — “thereby placing additional pressure on our business,” according to the blog post.
Once America’s largest retailer, the company has struggled to stay afloat as customers turn away from traditional brick-and-mortar stores to shop online.
Sears warned in March that the company has “substantial doubt” about its ability to remain in business. Its losses have surpassed $10 billion since 2010, the last time it turned a profit. Sears Canada, which Sears Holdings spun off in 2012, filed for bankruptcy protection last month.
Sears closed 240 stores last year and 53 in 2015.
It’s hardly the only retailer to be experiencing such woes.
Other department stores like Macy’s and JCPenney have announced layoffs and store closures over the past few months.
There have been about 5,300 store closing announcements so far this year, according to retail think tank Fung Global Retail & Technology.
- Kmart 104 Highway 31 North Athens AL
- Kmart 635 Skyland Blvd Tuscaloosa AL
- Kmart 3340 E Andy Devine Ave Kingman AZ
- Kmart 2526 W Northern Avenue Phoenix AZ
- Kmart 4325 Broadway Eureka CA
- Kmart 7200 Arlington Avenue Riverside CA
- Kmart 12412 U S 19 Hudson FL
- Kmart 4717 South Florida Avenue Lakeland FL
- Kmart 20505 South Dixie Hwy Miami FL
- Kmart 8245 N Florida Ave Tampa FL
- Kmart 2500 Airport Thruway Columbus GA
- Kmart 1300 S Madison Avenue Douglas GA
- Kmart W-201 Neider Road Coeur D’Alene ID
- Kmart 2828 N Broadway Anderson IN
- Kmart 2520 Nicholasville Road Lexington KY
- Kmart 2760 Frederica Street Owensboro KY
- Kmart 140 Whalon Street Fitchburg MA
- Kmart 1277 Liberty Street Springfield MA
- Kmart 801 N Lincoln Road Escanaba MI
- Kmart 1290 N Monroe Street Monroe MI
- Kmart 1515 W Bell Street Glendive MT
- Kmart 1000 3Rd Street Nw Great Falls MT
- Kmart 2975 E Sahara Blvd Las Vegas NV
- Kmart 200 S Washington St Herkimer NY
- Kmart 601 Woodman Dr Dayton OH
- Kmart 12501 Rockside Rd Garfield Heights OH
- Kmart 1801 W Alexis Road Toledo OH
- Kmart 501 S E Washington Blvd Bartlesville OK
- Kmart 2323-2327 N Harrison Shawnee OK
- Kmart 4401 Buffalo Road Erie PA
- Kmart 2011 Hoffmeyer Road Florence SC
- Kmart 732 Old Hickory Blvd Jackson TN
- Kmart 4670 S 900 East Salt Lake City UT
- Kmart 3533 Franklin Road S W Roanoke VA
- Kmart 2450 Foothill Blvd Rock Springs WY
- Sears 1607 36Th Street Peru IL
- Sears 757 E Lewis & Clark Pkwy Clarksville IN
- Sears 154 28B W Hively Ave Elkhart IN
- Sears 120 Us Highway 41 Schererville IN
- Sears 2310 E Kansas Ave Garden City KS
- Sears 6945 Us Route 322 Cranberry PA
- Sears 3060 Clarksville Street Paris TX
- Sears 7630 Pershing Blvd Kenosha WI