White Sox Game Notes For Friday @ Kansas City
* The White Sox beat Cleveland, 2-1, in Chicago on Thursday to take three of four from the first-place Indians. After going 6-4 on their ten-game homestand, the White Sox head out on their last road trip of the season, to Kansas City, Philadelphia, and Cleveland.
* The Royals were crushed by the Athletics, 14-5, on Thursday in Kansas City. In Oakland’s four-game sweep, the Royals were outscored by a combined 43-12. That has dropped the Royals to 6.0 games back in the AL wild card hunt, with four teams between them and the second spot, and just 16 games to play.
* Kansas City has a comfortable lead in the season series, going 11-4 against the White Sox. However, they’ve only outscored Chicago by eight runs – 12 of the 15 games have been decided by two or fewer runs.
* Chris Sale allowed just two runs (both earned) in 8.0 innings against the Royals on Sunday, but was tagged with his eighth loss of the year as Chicago was shut out. The White Sox have lost each of Sale’s last four starts, despite their southpaw allowing three runs or fewer, and pitching at least 8.0 innings in each outing.
* Ian Kennedy threw 6.0 shutout innings against the White Sox on Sunday, picking up his 11th win of the season. Kennedy hasn’t lost since July 25, going 5-0 with a 2.05 ERA in his last nine outings.
* Eric Hosmer has three home runs in 45 career at-bats against Sale, more than any other left-handed batter. In fact, all other lefties have just five home runs in 809 total at-bats vs. Sale.