Cubs Game Notes For Friday @ Oakland
* The Cubs beat the Marlins, 5-4, on Wednesday at Wrigley Field, after scoring the winning run in the bottom of the 9th on a wild pitch to cap off a three-run inning. They’re now 13-6 since the All-Star break; only the Rockies (14-6) have a better record since then.
* The Athletics beat the Angels, 8-6, in 10 innings in Anaheim on Thursday. That snapped a five-game losing streak that saw the A’s fall into last place in the AL West.
* This is just the fourth series all time between the teams (2004, 2010, 2013). The Cubs made their only trip to Oakland in 2013, where they lost two out of three. The Cubs lead the all time series, 5-4, with seven of the nine games having been decided by two or fewer runs.
* Jon Lester threw 6.0 shutout innings last Friday against the Mariners, picking up his 11th win of the season. Lester will be making his first start in Oakland since playing for the A’s at the end of the 2014 season. In his last game in an A’s uniform, Lester allowed three runs in the 8th inning in the Wild Card game in Kansas City, a game the Royals won in 12 innings.
* Dillon Overton allowed five runs (all earned) in just 3.1 innings in Cleveland on Saturday. He is making just his fifth career start today, and he has struggled so far, posting a 9.33 ERA. He hasn’t allowed fewer than three runs in any of his starts.
* After leading MLB in walkoffs last season with 13, the Cubs only had one all season before this week, when they got two – and neither one was on hit. Matt Szczur scored on a wild pitch against the Marlins on Wednesday, and Lester drove in the winning run on Sunday against the Mariners with a sacrifice bunt.