Cubs Game Notes For Friday vs. Pittsburgh
* Pittsburgh’s 2-1 road win over the Cubs on May 15 snapped its overall six-game losing skid in this series.
* The Pirates are 9-13 in day games so far this season, including 4-8 in daytime contests on the road.
* Ben Zobrist leads the majors with his .425 on base percentage. That is on pace for a new career high for Zobrist, whose previous best (.405) came back in 2009. The last Cubs’ player to lead the majors in OBP was Gary Matthews (.410) in 1984.
* Gregory Polanco is tied with Jon Jay for the NL lead in doubles, with 22. The last Pirates’ player to lead the NL in doubles was Nate McLouth, who tied for the title with Lance Berkman (46) in 2008.
* Francisco Liriano has dropped his last three starts. The last time he had a longer losing streak as a starting pitcher was April 17-May 7, 2012, when he lost four consecutive starts (streak excludes any relief app & would be broken by any no decision).
* Not only has Jake Arrieta pitched exceptionally well this season (1.86 ERA), he has been the beneficiary of excellent run support (8.38 RSA). This puts him on pace to become the first pitcher since at least the start of the 1974 season to have a sub 2.00 ERA and an 8.00+ RSA in the same year (minimum 10 starts).