Cubs Game Notes For Friday vs. Washington
* The Cubs beat the Nationals, 5-2, on Thursday in the series opener. The loss marked the first time all season that Washington had a winning streak stopped at one game.
* The Nationals are 3-0 on Fridays this season, one of two days of the week in which they are undefeated (also 3-0 on Saturdays). Last season, the Nationals were 11-14 on Fridays, with the 14 losses tied with Tuesdays for their most defeats on any day of the week.
* With yesterday’s win, Chicago improved to 21-6 on the season. The last time the Cubs started a season with 21 or more wins in the first 27 games was in 1907 when they started 23-4.
* Washington did not lead at any point in yesterday’s loss, just the second road game all season in which the Nationals did not hold a lead (also April 18 at Miami).
* Jayson Werth hit his sixth home run of the season in his 26th game of the season. The only time in his career he reached six home runs in fewer games was in 2004 with the Dodgers (23 games). He also reached six home runs in his 26th game of the 2009 season with the Phillies.
* Ben Zobrist has hit a home run in back-to-back games for the first time since August 1-2, 2015. Zobrist has two career streaks of a home run in three straight games (June 25-July 5, 2008 and August 19-21, 2009).