Cubs Game Notes For Friday vs. Atlanta
* At 16-5, the Chicago Cubs are off to their best start through 21 games since 1907 (17-4). Chicago has won its last six games against the Atlanta Braves; the last time they had a longer win streak in this series was May 29, 1998-May 15, 1999 (W7).
* The Braves’ season has been very up-and-down; they started the year 0-9, then won their next four contests, then dropped their next eight in a row; Thursday’s win over Boston snapped that skid.
* Nick Markakis’ 19 RBI are the most by any player who has yet to hit a home run in 2016. He has had 1+ RBI in five of his last six games, including three in Thursday’s win over the Red Sox.
* Ben Zobrist went hitless in his first 20 at-bats at Wrigley Field this season before breaking through with a two-run single in the first inning of Thursday’s game against the Brewers.
* Aaron Blair allowed three runs in 5.1 innings of work against the Mets in his MLB debut on April 24. The last Braves’ pitcher to come away with a victory in his first career start against the Cubs was Mike Minor, August 22, 2010 (Minor has won all six of his career starts versus Chicago).
* Jon Lester has gone at least six innings while allowing three or fewer runs in each of his last six starts, posting a 3-2 record with a 1.91 (9/42.1) ERA and .179 (26/145) opponent BA during this streak.