Cubs Game Notes For Monday @ St. Louis
* The Cardinals went 11-8 versus the Cubs in 2015, capturing the season series for the fifth consecutive season. Since 2011, St. Louis is a sparkling 33-14 (.702) when hosting the Cubs at Busch Stadium.
* The Cubs suffered their first series loss of 2016 when they dropped two of three games to Colorado this weekend. Nevertheless, at 9-3, Chicago enters its series with St. Louis leading the second-place Cardinals (7-5) by 2.0 games in the NL Central.
* The Cardinals scored 26 runs in its three-game series with Cincinnati this weekend, raising their season total to 85 runs through 12 games. It’s the fourth-highest total through a dozen games by any St. Louis offense since 1900.
* After compiling a career-best 2.77 ERA for the Cardinals last season, John Lackey gets a chance to face St. Louis for the first time ever during the regular season. The current Cubs right-hander did go 1-1 with a 2.57 ERA versus the Cardinals while pitching for Boston in the 2013 World Series.
* Mike Leake, who was signed by St. Louis in part to help fill the void left by Lackey’s departure, has fashioned a 6.97 ERA through his first two starts with the Redbirds. But Leake is 9-2 with a 3.15 ERA over 19 career starts versus the Cubs.
* Backup catcher Eric Fryer went 3-for-3 with a walk on Sunday, as he’s now reached base in all seven plate appearances with the Cardinals. The last player to begin their tenure with any single team by reaching base (via a hit, walk or HPB) for eight straight PA was Seattle’s Steve Henderson in 1983.